If you are an avid camper, one of the things you need for your RV is an outdoor awning. Nothing beats the feeling of pulling out your RV awning to enjoy a sunny day under a shade as you enjoy a camping experience by yourself or with your loved ones. With an RV awning, you can take your camping relaxation to the next level.
One of the most common brand names for awnings is Dometic. This company has been manufacturing awnings for many years, offering RVers and campers the comfort and ability to create their own private outdoor spaces wherever they go.
One of the most common questions asked when it comes to RV awnings is about how to use a Dometic awning. This article will give you a detailed guide on using a Dometic awning in 10 easy steps.
Step by step guide on how to use a Dometic awning
Setting up your Dometic awning is probably one of the easiest things you can do in a camper van. However, you need to follow a specific order to ensure you do it the right way and prevent causing damage to your valuable investment.
- Loosen the brace knob by approximately two turns as you avoid loosening it completely
- Release the travel lock to release the support arms on both sides
- Flip the Ratchet dog at the end of the roll into the roll-down position. This controls whether the awning comes out or remains retracted.
- Find the awning pull strap, gently pull on the awning and roll it out until the entire fabric spreads out properly.
- Push the slider assembly all the way over the travel lock and put on the de-flappers if you are using them. Repeat this process for both ends.
- Move the tension arms now that the awning fabric is in place. Start by moving one side, slide it up to stop halfway. Move to the other side and slide it all the way to the top. Then come back to the first side and lift the remaining arm to the maximum height.
- Ensure the clip fits into the respective cylinder’s head joints. Apply the locking mechanism to adjust the tension in the support arms and lock them in place.
- Release some length of the support arm using the lever. Releasing the support arms helps prepare the awning for final placement on the ground.
- With everything in place, while maintaining the correct tension for each arm and segment, you can release the safety clip from the support arm and caravan.
- Bring the arms down to the ground while keeping the pressure on the opposite direction of the caravan to prevent the awning from being rolled up again.
- Now that the arms are firmly on the ground, you can easily adjust the height. If you need to raise the height further, adjust it to the desired level and fix it in place using the locking mechanism.
- Once everything is set up, you will find some length of strap hanging from one end. Just wrap it around the support arm and tie it to prevent it from getting in the way.
It is important to remember that the Dometic RV awning is primarily to be used as a shade. It is advisable to roll it back in case of heavy rains to prevent damage or lower one side of the awning in the chance of light rain. Lowering it by a few notches creates a slanted effect that helps drain the water from the awning top, preventing pooling above.
The benefits of an RV awning
One of the best benefits of RV living is the ability to feel at home from anywhere in the world. Sometimes the only thing stopping you from turning off the engine and enjoying the great outdoors is the absence of a shaded area around you. With an RV awning, this will never be the case. You can park your RV anywhere, roll out your RV awning, and enjoy magnificent views under a cool shade no matter the weather.
Some of the best benefits of having an RV awning include:
- Offering protection from the harmful rays of direct sunlight
- It helps regulate the temperature inside your RV by shading it from the sun.
- Reduces the effects of elements like harsh weather, wind, and rain
- Easy to maintain
- Keep your RV flooring, furnishings, and drapes from premature fading
- Allows you to enjoy the rain without getting drenched
- It helps to reduce glare
- Can enhance the RV aesthetic appeal and architectural style
- Awnings can block the sun without blocking your view
- It comes with the option of smart awnings that are remote controlled
- They are easy to use
How to use a Dometic awning – Cleaning and maintaining an RV awning
The best way to keep your RV awning clean is by washing it with warm soapy water and rinsing it with a garden hose.
Avoid using granulated, abrasive, or oil-based cleaning products as these can cause damage to the awning. Rinse at least twice to ensure all the soap is cleaned off.
For a very dirty RV awning, you can use a soft brush to scrub off the dirt gently. Allow the awning to dry by leaving it completely extended after a wash.
The bottom line
Learning how to use a Dometic awning is the best way to ensure you get it right the first time and avoid causing damage to it. With this step-by-step guide, you can comfortably extend and retract your Dometic awning from wherever you are.